Thursday, March 4, 2010

Class discussion

Hey everyone!
So today in class I did my free-writing about How African American's idea of Africa has changed. I also compared Paul Dunbar's "Ode to Ethiopia" to Frances E.W. Harper's "Ethiopia". I feel that African American's idea of Africa has changed from very negative to much more optimistic. In Harper's poem "Ethiopia", she writes "Her [Ethiopia] cry of agony shall reach, The burning throne of God!?" (p.494). In the time period when Harper wrote this poem (approximately 1853), Ethiopia was suffering from the devastating results of slavery. For that reason, Harper portrays Ethiopia as a struggling and vulnerable country. In contrast, Dunbar speaks of Ethiopia with such optimism and pride. The following passage further demonstrates how important the time period of publication is: "Sad days were those, But through the land the fruitful seed, Of better times was growing?" (p.907). Dunbar published his works in the 1890's, thus, post-Emancipation. Therefore, his style of writing is much more positive and enthusiastic. In my opinion, Dunbar's "overly-optimistic" style of writing created detachment. I felt as though his work was not credible as he was writing about something he had never experienced. Charlie was in my discussion group and said that he felt as though Dunbar was writing as a poet rather than a salve poet. I must say I agree with Charlie. I feel as though Dunbar wrote what he thought people wanted to read in order for in work to gain success. Consequently, I did not enjoy his work as much as other writers who I found to be more convincing and realistic. To wrap up, I feel as though the idea of Ethiopia has indeed evolved over the years from a place of struggle, wrecked by slavery, to a place of hopefulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment