Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Race vs. Class

I realized something when I read Langston Hughes' "The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain". Hughes makes the point that it is very difficult for middle to upper class black artists to create art that truly represents black life. He almost implies that they aren't really black because they secretly want to be white. I realized that I've caught myself thinking the same thing during some of our readings. When I read an introduction that says the author was educated and wealthy, I have a harder time giving them credibility. It's like I assume that they aren't really writing about something they know and understand. I almost feel the same way that I would if I knew the author was white.
I feel that sometimes upper and middle class blacks are seen as their own entity. They aren't white so, they may not be able to fit in with the other middle class people around them. At the same time, there are people like Langston Hughes who don't really see them as black either. They kind of exist in this weird space where they are part of both groups without being a complete part of either. It amazes me that the relationship between class and race leads to such a weird situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment