Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sermons, prayers, and songs

Something that really struck me in the readings this week was how the sermons and prayers were similar to the songs that we have read. You can almost hear some of these prayers being put to music. In "The Eagle Stirreth Her Nest", Franklin tries to describe how the sermon becomes a chant or a song. This is really neat to me because it seems more interesting to read and has to be more fun to listen to.
I also really enjoyed the Johnson's description of the "big meeting" in the Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man. He really emphasized the importance of combining music with the sermons. This led to a theatrical effect that seems really enjoyable. In fact, Johnson almost seems to think that the music was more important than the sermon because the music could be used to drive points home. It seemed to keep the crowd active and helped them to be more interested in what the preachers were saying. Johnson also describes how this sort of church experience had a huge impact on a large portion of the black population of the south. Johnson makes a point of saying that this stuff is one of the things that helped blacks to survive and escape slavery. He does this even while making the point that some of the black population really looked down on these things. The whole scene seemed very interesting to me.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this very interesting as well. The style of the African American sermons were mesmerizing to me and I really enjoyed reading them. Particularly, as you mentioned, starting on page 100 through the end of "The Eagle Stirreth Her Nest" Franklin begins a rhythmic 'chant' or perhaps even a song. He continues to build throughout the rest of the sermon until the end you can just imagine the congregation responding. Even as I was reading the sermons, at times I felt like I could almost hear the speaker, rising and coming back down and building up to a passionate finish. There were certain patterns that stuck out to me as I was reading the pieces as well. Some of these were a lot of repetition and using means such as questions to get the congregation involved. When still in slavery, as we have read, slaves used songs to communicate emotions to each other or simply to themselves. It only makes sense then that this tradition would carry over to post-Civil War as a means of communicating religious messages.
    Reading the sermons actually reminded me of a youtube clip someone showed me once of a short African American sermon by S.M. Lockridge that I think someone actually put some music in the background of. It shows how many of these sermons have an rhythmic, musical feel that I believe is such a core part of African American's history. (If you want to check it out, here’s the link, it’s called “That’s My King”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE&feature=related)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I pasted the wrong link the first time, so I deleted that comment and responded again.

    The full sermon is here, without the music:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX_7j32zgNw&feature=related

    ReplyDelete