Thursday, January 28, 2010

As I sat in class Wednesday morning, a question came to my head as we talked about the unfair treatment of African Americans during slavery. This question that lurked in my mind for that entire class was, would I be harmed as a slave if my master could hear my heart beat as the beat of the drum they took away from my people? As I read in the “Norton Anthology” for Wednesdays lecture the thought of a simple drum being taking from blacks made me see that slavery was truly just cruel. The beat of the drum in the time of slavery signified away of communication for all African Americans and when that was taken away due to the laws being passed blacks therefore had to adapt to a new form of communication. Which in their case was to use mischevious items that could be found all over the Plantation but, even that was a problem because if caught with these mischievous items they would be punished with either beatings or Lynching’s... I cannot believe how brutal a different race can be against another. Being black should not be any different from being white in any way shape or for m but, White Americans did not see that back then as I learned in lecture the thought of being inferior had made them power hungry for no reason at all. What was there to be inferior over? Blacks were seen as savage and untamed people so why did white people have such hatred over this race what made them so important. Was it really because they were racist or because they saw the blacks as having something inferior over them. In the accounts of “The Dead Books” you hear how these white men who were bringing slaves over had this lust for black women and that being said if blacks were so savage what was this lust over their women, there had to be something more to these black people then savageness. That’s where I wonder what were this cruel and immoral acts of slavery doing for white Americans besides giving free labor and hate, and if they could look at today’s society what would they say about the black race now????

No comments:

Post a Comment