Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stereotypes

Today in class we started talking about stereotypes in different communities and neighborhoods. This really hit home with me because I experienced this for six years in high school. I went to a high school located in a predominantly white, English-speaking, upper-class neighborhood; yet the school itself was populated predominantly by black kids. This caused many conflicts. Too often, as my black friends walked to school in the morning, they would get harassed by the white kids in the neighborhood (who did not attend our school because it was French Catholic). One day, a good friend of mine, Justin Ferdinant, missed first and second period. Alarmed by this, I started looking for him during our lunch period. I later found out that on his way to school that morning, he was attacked by a group of white kids and one of them held a paint-ball gun to his head. A nearby witness called the police and if you were Justin, you we’re probably thinking that this nightmare was finally going to end. I wish that was the case. When the police arrived, of all people, Justin was arrested. The police later explained that Justin appeared “suspicious” because he was a black kid, “roaming” the streets of a white, upper-class neighborhood. Horrible isn’t it?!?!?! So as I said, this really hit home for me and I think it further confirms this idea of “silent racism” that was discussed in class today. The police officer may not think himself as “racist”, however his behavior, actions and thoughts would suggest otherwise. So my question to you all is how do we ignore a stereotype?? How do we change how people are perceived in certain settings?

No comments:

Post a Comment