Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Posting for Taylor

My name is Taylor Engle. I am a Pre-Vet and music major. Since I was a little kid I would spend my entire summer working in my grandparent’s farm. I love working with the animals, and especially the horses, even though it is a little girly. My goal is to become an equine vet, or be a vet at a zoo. I want to work with large exotic animals. Also I love to play music, whether it’s piano, guitar, or just jamming out on the drums; which is why I am also majoring in music. I don’t really have any plans with music. I’m just majoring in it because I love it. I have had pretty decent experiences in my previous English courses. I like to write; however I am not very fond of reading anything, unless it’s Harry Potter, or Animorphs. I took some English courses in High School, but have not taken any college English courses yet, so I am looking forward to this class. What I would like to take away from this course is to become a better writer, but to also learn a different perspective from an African American point of view. I would like to become a more open person because of this class.
To describe myself, I would first say that I am a white anglo-saxon American male, with some Germanic, and Irish descent. I am from Pompano Beach Florida, which is located in southeast ern Florida. The area where I live is very diverse with different types of people and cultures. Because my high school was made up of Jamaicans, Haitians, Puerto Ricans,, Cubans, African Americans, Brazilians, I am an insider when it comes to diverse groups. All of my friends surf, skimboard, wakeboard, deep sea fish, scuba dive, so I am an insider when it comes to those groups. I am an outsider here in the north country because south Florida is completely opposite to everything at St. Lawrence especially the cold and the snow. I am an outsider to the northeast area. Also there is not a very diverse ethnic makeup here at St. Lawrence, which makes me an outsider. In addition I went to a public high school, and many of the students here went to private high schools. I have never been around hockey, in fact I did not realize how big hockey was in this country until last year, so I am definitely an outsider to ice-skating, and hockey jocks, and anything to do with snow. Being an insider to such a diverse area of the country has helped me to be very open and accepting of different people and cultures. Since I am an outsider to the north country, and St. Lawrence University, I am going to try new things that I have never done before, like ice-skating, and sledding, and maybe learn to play hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment