Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Assignment 0

My name is Hannah Dean and I am a sophomore from New Hampshire. I am studying English and education, but I won’t necessarily use that degree. I have always liked everything about English—reading, writing, and analyzing works. I have many interests, and it has taken me a long time to settle on a major, and I chose English because I know it’s a subject I will always enjoy.

Last semester I took Introduction to Creative Non-Fiction and loved every second of it. My favorite part was the workshop segment, when we were able to read other students’ works and have our own writing critiqued. I also took Introduction to American Literature, which I found both interesting and challenging. In this class I hope to learn how African American Literature has changed over the years, and the broad impact it has had on American society and education.

Having grown up in rural New Hampshire, I haven’t had much exposure to other cultures and races. I have never placed great emphasis on my own race or heritage as contributing to my identity. My dad’s family has been traced back to the Mayflower and my mom’s ancestors were predominantly Irish or French-Canadian. There are several roles and traits by which I normally classify myself. I am a student. I am freakishly organized, and I use this to my advantage in school, as well as all aspects of my life. I have always enjoyed school, and I strive to make the most of my education since I know it is not even an option for most of the world. Secondly, I would describe myself as a musician. I was completely tone-deaf until the age of ten, but as soon as I grew out of that, I started singing, and I haven’t stopped. I have picked up various instruments over the years, and I still play most of them now, but I prefer singing. Singing in choirs over the years has given me the opportunity to visit different parts of the world, and also to bring different parts of the world to my own neighborhood, by singing a wide range of styles and languages.

I would also describe myself as a middle child. I believe that my birth order has done much to shape who I am. My older brother is the typical first-born: driven, ambitious, intense, and successful. My younger brother is relaxed, sarcastic, and incredibly talented. That leaves me in the middle, as the mediator. My younger brother is my best friend, and my older brother is my hero. My older brother is valedictorian, my little brother is a musical prodigy, and I haven’t yet found my “thing.”

Lastly, and most importantly, I classify myself as a growing Christian. My faith doesn’t merely contribute to my worldview and life decisions, but it is the basis for them. It’s not like I have a school life, a music life, an athletic life, and a Christian life. My faith is prevalent in each aspect of my life; it has no borders. One could classify me as a Christian who studies, sings, and loves her family. But the faith label is most important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment