Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First Blog Entry

Hello, my name is David Cohen and I am a junior and engineering major. Unfortunately for me this school does not have an engineering program so I will be leaving next year. I am currently in the process of applying to engineering schools and it is a bitter sweet because I know I will not be here with all my friends next year, but I will continue to do what I love. I have always loved mathematics and until recently, never really liked the sciences. It was not until St. Lawrence that I realized that to be an electrical engineer, I would have to know a lot of physics, and thus I became a physics major here at SLU. There are not many of us which makes it tough, but it also makes me enjoy it more because you become real close with your professors and you have a lot of one on one time with them as well.
I have not had that many experiences with English courses because I have always tried to stay away from them. In high school I took the bare minimum and this will be my first English course here at St. Lawrence. If you count the FYP and FYS program as an English course than there are some good and bad experiences that go along with these courses. My FYS in particular was the first real writing assignment of my college career and as most of us know, or will know by the end of this semester, resulted in a formal report that for me was very long and very hard to write. I am not going to lie but I took this course for the requirements. With that said I still think I can get a lot out of this course and it will open my mind to some writings that I have never seen before or experienced in my life. These authors give a whole different perspective about life that I think will change the way I think about some things, and make me think a lot about the world we live in today.
I grew up with an older sister and an older brother to look up to but at the same had to try and be as good as they were. This has been one of the more challenging things in my life because I always feel as I am being compared to them. In high school I always was split between the athletes and non athletes as I did activities in both. I was in musicals and chorus but at the same time playing a sport every season so my schedule was crowded and some days I wouldn’t leave the high school from 8 in the morning to 10 at night. Because of my crowded schedule I have grown accustom to managing my time real well and getting the things that I need done finished. This also made me have a lot of good friends in all types of groups of people because I have always had a way to fit in with most crowds. Being able to be in musicals and still play athletics in my opinion, is challenging especially at my high school where there are many cliques and it is hard for people to be in multiple cliques and has really shaped the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment