Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Amiri Baraka

So, this week we mention Amiri Baraka's in class. Last week my poetry class had to watch some of some of his performances on you tube. During the viewings I learned that he is a very well respected poet in both the black and the white community. I never would have pictured it, but he looks really old. In the past I have just heard his readings through itunes and never saw a picture of him. His overall performance was very active and entertaining from a voice that sounded in the mid thirties or forties. However, when I saw him on You Tube he was sixty or seventy. I watched his poetry titled, "Why is we American." I enjoyed it a lot because it Incorporated jazz and spoken poetry. When I looked up the poems, I read them completely different then he preformed them. His performance made me think about how important it is to watch an author read their poetry after reading it yourself. Because I saw Baraka's performances and have read a variety of his work, I am inspired to learn, write, and talk about poetry that is both well respected in the black and white communities.
F.Y.I I'm performing my poetry next week in the Sykes courtyard. If anyone is interesting in watching, I believe it will be at 5 or 6 pm. 4 other students will be performing. Come and join! Maybe you will be inspired by our poetry like others have inspired ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment