Friday, April 2, 2010

Confusion and Dismay

This week the one thing I thought about would have to be the a phrase from a Langston Hughes poem which was "not a Negro poet". This phrase made me think of how hard it had to be to not want to be acknowledges as your own race because of the wealth you would not get for it back in the days. This phrase also mad em me think to myself how wrong that boy was for stating that. After reading Langston Hughes work I brainstormed how important it was to be classified under the Negro poet or author category. Although, the struggles to make it to the top as one of these professions was very hard the reward for knowing you made it despite everything that would hold you back must have been something great. I can truly say if given the opportunity i would cherish being a Negro poet or author maybe even and artist. Just because of the simple fact I despite what people may have told me to put me down rose above the influence and did what had to be done to make it somewhere in society. Another thought that has been rolling through my head for not only this week but last week as well would be the changing of ones identity (black claiming whiteness) to get a head in life through the many passages read these are the ones that touch me the most. This is because the struggle these people go through just to have the opportunity to raise their family correctly or just to have something worth having is amazing to me as a person. Would i have the courage to put a mask over my face? Would anyone in society today have the courage and lie to people even if you knew it could be unsafe? i think NOT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment