Friday, April 23, 2010

Friendships

Reading Barbara Trepagnier’s section on making friends seems a little opposite of what she argues in her book. Making friends because of skin color is not true friendship. I think that trying to make your friends group more diverse is not bad at all, in fact I think she should be friends with all types of people; however making friends only to make your friends group is wrong. I don’t choose to make friends based on color, but instead on the actually person. Is the person a good person? Do they have good characteristics? That’s how I decide if I am going to be friends with someone. Not because most of my friends are white, and since I need to make my friends group more diverse. That defeats the purpose of a friendship. And also I don’t think that having a group of friends who the majority is the same race. I really like what Hannah said, about when she came to college, what she was looking for. I agree completely. I did not come to school here and say okay I have ten white friends so I need to even that out, and start looking for black people to become friends with. I just made friends with people as I bumped into them. Now After being here for two years I can say that I have black friends, white friends, and some Indian friends, but I don’t think any differently of them because some are black, some are white and some are Indian. Their all my friends, and I didn’t meet them by looking for people of certain races, we just became friends, without thinking about it. It just happened. That’s how friendships should be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment