Thursday, April 15, 2010

I think Caucasia uses a lot of themes that we have been talking about, in modern life. So far all of the themes we have talked about have been about times that I feel we can't fully relate to because of the time period. But with Caucasia I have felt that I can relate to it a lot more. I think another reason why I have been able to relate to it so much is because it is in Boston and also with the fact that I am bi-racial just like Birdie and Cole. I can't completely relate because my parents didn't raise me the way they did, but on other aspects I can. For example, like Birdie and Cole, I went to a school that was mostly African American and Hispanic students in Roxbury, Mass. Although they were much younger than I was went to middle school, I still felt the same pressures of fitting in socially. I can totally see why Birdie tries so hard to "prove" that she is black. I remember when I first went to the school and saw that being white wasn't necessarily considered "cool" so I tried my hardest to play up the fact that I am half Hispanic. I also remember my mother and sister saying that they could hear the way I spoke, dressed, and looked change while I went to that school. Its really strange to think that I changed who I was so much to fit in, which is what Birdie did in each place she went. In a way Birdie passes when it's convenient for her to pass, but the problem with her passing ends up with her not knowing who she really is. I think passing in general causes the passer to lose who they are because by passing so much they think that that is who they truly are.

No comments:

Post a Comment