Thursday, April 29, 2010

Connection Between Gender and Race?

I agree with Hannah. I found it interesting that we had the chance to compare "Dreams of My Father" and "Caucasia."I can't give a definite answer to whether or not gender correlate, but in my mind they do. Instinctually children I feel as though children have more of a bond with their mother. In Barack's and Birdie's case they well left in the care of their mother. It does not seem as though Barack or Birdie seem to question their mother's gender to their whiteness, but they do seem to question their mothers relationship to their fathers who are black. In other words, it as if they question the relationship between the two races in the first place, instead of the inherent actions as a parent of a particular gender. As Hannah posts, I think curiosity plays a role as well. I know that if I were denied the option to live with both of parents, I would be curious as to how living with the other one would be in comparison to the one I am currently living with. To build upon that, it seems more complex in Birdie's and Barack situation because of the added level of race. Since they reside with one parent who is of a certain race, they would most likely be curious as to how living with the other one would be. This reminds me of Birdie's day in the park with her dad and her father's encounter with the police who believe he is trying to rape her. From that example, one can see how perception of oneself with a particular parent plays a large role in the curiosity of child. In addition, one can see Barack's curiosity in his visit to Kenya and his notable name because of his father..

No comments:

Post a Comment