Friday, February 26, 2010

Comments on Talma Gordon

Hey everyone! As I was reading the different blogs, I noticed the interest in the Talma Gordon story. I want to especially agree with Cathy’s post because I think she is absolutely correct in saying that the "one-drop" issue is ridiculous. What affected me most during the reading was the passage that followed Edward’s (Talma’s lover) discovery of Talma’s drop of Negro blood: “God! Doctor, but this is too much. I could stand the stigma of murder, but add to that the pollution of Negro blood! No man is brave enough to face such a situation” (Hopkins 661). I was shocked when I read this! I knew that having Negro blood was views as “bad” yet I had no idea that it was comparable to murder or in this case, viewed as worse! This frustrated me very much! Also touching on the Talma Gordon story is the issue of sexist societal views. Jenna and I had formulated a question for discussion Wednesday but we ran out of time. Therefore, I thought I could present it here and give you guys a chance to comment on it if you wished. We were wondering how you guys felt about the Father telling Jeanette that he was disappointed at her birth, and also at the birth of Talma. He tells them he wanted a male heir (659-660). How do you think our society is affected (according to Cooper’s view we discussed Wednesday) considering she argues that women are the source of societies? Wish we could have discussed this Wednesday as I feel it ties in really well with the “Womanhood” reading. Paradoxical isn’t it how women “elevate” societies yet many fathers’ are disappointed at the birth of a female for they wanted sons?

No comments:

Post a Comment