Thursday, February 25, 2010

Response to Grace Hale

I totally agree with everyone who had a hard time reading Grace Hale's " Deadly Amusement." I feel like I have read so much about lynching and it still seems to surprise me every time I read something new. It just amazed and disgusted me how horrible people were and how brutal they could be to another human being. And I understand that this is a different time then it was then, but I cannot fathom finding amusement in watching a person being tortured and burned alive. As I read more and googled these events I was speechless of what people did. I was reading something on wikipedia (I know super reliable right?) that had the same picture of Jesse Washington being burned and lynched that read "This is the barbecue we had last night. My picture is to the left with a cross over it. Your son, Joe." And I think reading that quote and reading that people took "souvenirs" of the lynching, really made me realize that this really was a form of amusement for people, which just made me more angry and disgusted. Another thing that really freaked me out about the reading was when she mentioned Emmet Till. It really scared me because it reminded me that things like this still happen. Although Emmet Till was brutally murdered in 1955 that is still fairly recent and there are still blatant acts of hatred in this country. It obviously is not as prominent as it used to be and I am glad that in that sense our society has progressed a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment