Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Silent Racism

I think the classroom discussion on Monday was pretty controversial, which I expected it to be, obviously. I think that a lot of people had different opinions regarding the Silent Racism reading that we had to do for the class; when the experimental groups in Trepagnier's recollections happened to stumble upon an issue regarding race, some people in our class maintained certain ideals and opinions in reaction to those issues, while other people clearly begged to differ. I think that's what makes a classroom environment stimulating, especially in this racial context, because it's important to hear out other people's ideas about the world in a more structured and appropriate manner. Even I spoke out about how I felt in regard to a woman in the discussion, Katie, who voiced her opinions about race, and other people would definitely beg to differ. But I guess that's what makes a classroom so stimulating, like I said before. I'm sure we'll end up having a more controversial topic to discuss later in the semester, as material covers more topics about race and prejudice or discrimination. I also hope that we spend time analyzing texts more as well, rather than just focusing on Silent Racism. As the class has already probably realized, historical texts have a lot to say about an issue that has continued for centuries; I would like to dig further into those readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment