Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Frederick Douglass

Our discussion in class was interesting and useful to me at the same time. I found it interesting that most people were apt to talk about the line that is never really clear as to whether a slave was considered a human or not. The line seems fickle and intangible and is more dependent upon the situation one is in. Examples of this are evident in the difference between Douglass' inability to lead oxen and the act of purchasing a female slave for the use of reproduction. Although Douglass may be treated as an animal in a other situations, he is expected to know how to lead oxen. Same with the female slave, who maybe subjected to dehumanization in other situations, but somehow subconsciously is acknowledged as a human for biological purposes.
I also found our class discussion extremely helpful because I have never evaluated Douglass' strife and spirit. In the past, I have learned of his knowledge and thoughts, especially on dehumanization, but never really thought in depth about his morale and ability to overcome adversity, as someone read this morning, "when a slave becomes a man." Overall, I guess it was advantageous for me to put his writing in perspective and be aware of where it came from and from whom it was produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment