Thursday, February 11, 2010

frederick douglas/ silent racism

After reading the Frederick Douglas story and discussing it in class it made me appreciate the things he did even more. When we learn about heroic figures like Frederick Douglas at young ages I feel that we don't appreciate their accomplishments as much. I think its important to share Douglas' story with all races because his legacy represents more than a slave story. Douglas made a difference in the world during the worst time of his life. The fact that he was able to use his past experiences as motivation is amazing. I think if anyone witnessed the beatings he saw they would be scarred for their life. This man was able to write about it and taught other illiterate slaves how to read his work.

I thought the question I asked in class about the book silent racism being written by a black author was an interesting topic to discuss. I personally believe most white people wont feel the same way about this book if a black author wrote this book. One reason is the fact that Trepagnier is focuses on the white race more then any other race while discussing racism. I think white people are more accepting to the comments made in this book because Trepegnier is white herself. If she was black, some whites might not accept this book because they can argue she herself is racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment