Friday, February 26, 2010

Lynching, and Mothers

I was absolutely shocked by the Grace Hale reading. I had a tough time reading it. I can’t imagine how people actually viewed this as amusement. What really got me and what I found interesting, but also pathetic at the same time was the fact that there were souvenirs at the lynchings. The fact that people saw this as a business opportunity amazes me. Who does that? I just cannot wrap my head around being able to sit back, and take my family out to a nice day the lynch park , and enjoy myself watching some people be absolutely dehumanized and tortured. The sad thing is that during this time that was the norm. I really did have a tough time reading this because it made me have a sick feeling in my stomach.
I also was really interested in our discussion about stay at home mothers, and working mothers. I think that today, many mothers are fortunate enough to decide whether they want to work or stay at home and raise the children. My view is that it all comes down to be most important and necessary. Some mothers cannot simply choose this. Some mother’s believe that raising the children is more important that earning necessary money; however that is a sacrifice that some people make. Sacrifice is a big key in this. To me I think it is all about personal situations. Every person is different and has different challenges, and categorizing women as either working, or a stay at home mom , isn’t fair to women. They are more than just stay at home moms and working moms. Love you mom.

1 comment:

  1. I think that Taylor's comments on Lynching and Motherhood is incredibly insightful. I also had a hard time reading Hale's work. The fact that lynching became a commodified sport for viewers is nauseating. What I find especially interesting is just how ambiguous this period is to the general public of today. Sure, the United States' public school system teaches their children about slavery, but the immediate post-slavery events are essentially left in the dark. I was truly unaware of how violent this time was, until reading Grace Hale's account.
    To add to Taylor's other comment, mothers today are often put in a small mold with how they should act in society, and what their duties should be. Women are judged by what they choose to do, rather than by all the sacrifices they make to be successful in the few things they are forced to juggle. Some women sacrifice being with their children so they can put food on the table, while others sacrifice a career to raise their children full time. Though some women are able to do it all, I commend those who must sacrifice to make ends meet. With that said, I'd like to join Taylor in saying, Mom, I love you.

    ReplyDelete